The Man, The Myth, The Legend
Dave Ramsey is a radio/television host, author and media personality who mixes faith with finance. He's been a guest on many American television programs, including the Oprah Winfrey Show and 60 Minutes.
Dave Ramsey (born David L. Ramsey III on September 3, 1960) definitely has an interesting financial background. He became a millionaire at the age of 26 through his real estate investment company.
And then, also at the age of 26, he was forced to file for bankruptcy due to a change in the tax code (Tax Reform Act of 1986) that negatively affected his real estate investments.
Not one to stay down, he went back to work rebuilding his finances. He sums up that period in his life on his website:
" I came to realize that my money problems, worries and shortages largely began and ended with the person in my mirror.
I also realized that if I could learn to manage the character I shaved with every morning, I would win with money."
This story exemplifies Safe Investing Principle #1: YOU must control your money; no one else can be responsible for your financial future.
If he can go from a millionaire to bankrupt and back again, what are the rest of us waiting for?
Since hitting bottom, Mr. Ramsey has spent much of his time counseling people in money management.
In 1992, he founded the Lampo Group to help people on an individual basis.
Did You Know:
According to Mike Kinosian, Ramsey runs his business completely debt-free!
In addition to the Lampo Group, these are his other financially related endeavors:
- Financial Peace University
- A bible-based video training series for adults
- "Share It!"
- A foundation created to assist other non-profit, human services organization
- A small business conference developed around the principles used to grow the Lampo Group.
Want more of Dave Ramsey?
Here is a short list of books that Mr. Ramsey has published.
- Financial Peace: Restoring Financial Hope to You and Your Family
- The Financial Peace Planner: A step-by step guide to restoring your family's financial health
- How to Have More than Enough: A Step-by-Step Guide to Creating Abundance
- More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny
- Financial Peace Revisited
- The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan For Financial Fitness
- Total Money Makeover Workbook
- The Money Answer Book: Quick Answers to Everyday Financial Questions
- Priceless: Straight-Shooting, No-Frills Financial Wisdom